Robert L Hunt is one of the foremost railroad artists in the United States today. Life in America would not be the same without its railroads, which has been emphasized for Hunt by living most of his life in one of the East’s largest railroad towns, Altoona, Pennsylvania. As a realist oil painter, close attention to detail is always present in the art. Moving creatively beyond just the technical and mechanical accuracy in his railroading subjects, Hunt consistently renders artwork showing the romance and interweaving of railroading though the American culture and history.
This oil painting reproduction is a view of the two most notable cars in the Railroaders Memorial Museum’s collection. Steam locomotive K4s 1361 is a 4-6-2 “Pacific” type steam locomotive built in 1918 for the PRR by their own Altoona Works. Of 425 built, 1361 is one of only two remaining. The K4 had clocked an estimated 2.5 million miles over its career hauling mainline passenger and mail trains before retiring from service in 1956. On June 8, 1957, it was placed on static exhibit at the World Famous Horseshoe Curve until 1985 when it was temporarily restored to operating condition. The Pennsylvania General Assembly designated 1361 the official state steam locomotive on December 18, 1987. The engine is currently owned by the Railroaders Memorial Museum while a team of outside specialists are undertaking the completion of the locomotive back to operating status.
And the Mountainview was part of a fleet of six sleeper-observation lounges built by Pullman-Standard for use on the Pennsylvania Railroad’s passenger trains, most notably the 1949 Broadway Limited running from New York City to Chicago. The Mountain View is one of two blunt-end observation cars used on both sections of the Broadway Limited. Its’ sister car the Tower view is on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg. The Mountainview was retired in 1967 when it was taken out of revenue service. In the 1980’s, the car was restored by a private owner and was acquired by the museum in 2006 with the help of Bennett and Eric Levin of the Juniata Terminal Company in Philadelphia.