The facility design was accomplished thanks to funding by a generous Museum patron, Robert Bennett of Los Angeles as a tribute to his grandfather, William Henry “Harry” Bennett. Harry Bennett had served as the first foreman of the newly constructed Juniata Locomotive Shops in 1889. Promoted to master mechanic in 1901, he oversaw, among other things, the construction of our very own K-4 #1361 as well as over 6000 other Pennsy steam locomotives and the construction of the East Altoona Roundhouse.
Harry Bennett held the position of master mechanic until 1921, longer than anyone had held that prestigious Juniata position. This roundhouse construction project will feature a working 105-foot turntable, indoor storage bays and outdoor storage spurs to display and interpret the Museum’s rolling stock collection – all in a facility to be known as the Harry Bennett Memorial Roundhouse.